Saturday, January 2, 2010

Bike Ride or Bust

This episode started because I wanted to get some exercise. I am not able to run far or for a long time at the moment due to lingering IT Band problems. Prior to the marathon, I had been riding a bike and my knee pain was not getting worse. Since the marathon, I had been so busy trying to finish everything I had not exercised more than a walk around the neighborhood. I really wanted to go for a hard, short run. Knowing that I shouldn't, I settled for a bike ride.

I knew that it was going to be cold outside, so I layered up...warm pants, T-Shirt, and a fleece. I figured I would be cold at first but then warm up and not want excessive clothing. I then went out to the garage where there are two bikes from childhood and one that is adult size. The adult size one needed the tires blown up. I dragged the bike out of the garage and find the tire pump. I fiddle around for a while and got both tires filled with air. "Great," I thought, "That was not as hard as I thought it would be." I was off to ride around the neighborhood loop we rode while growing up. I make it about 300 feet and realize just how cold it is with the rushing wind. I kept riding thinking it will warm up. I decided after about 1/4 mile that it is just too cold. I returned home and proceeded to put on a ski jacket, gloves, and a tobagan under the bike helmet. What an outfit!

OK, now I was ready. I returned back outside determined to get a bike ride. This time, I was not cold. "Mission accomplished! Everything is great...exercise, no knee discomfort, not cold" I thought. I got to the farthest point in the loop and the front tire intertube breaks. Since it is a very old bike, I rode the rest of the loop home with the flat tire. Oh well, I gave it my best shot. Just as I thought, "I hope no one sees me" someone turns the corner. They just smile and continue walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment