Thursday, January 14, 2010

School: Yesterday was my second lesson. Currently my biggest challenge is my limited vocabulary. In just 2 day, however, I have 8 pages of vocab words. The vocab words are generated through our mini conversations rather than from a list. If I do not know a word, Zoila is normally able to discern what I am trying to say and will say the word in Spanish and then write it. I then write it in my notebook. Each night I have to go over all the words.

I am already able to understand more in yesterdays lesson than first day. I can understand much more than I can speak. Speaking is very difficult for me. When I listen do not need to know every word to understand the concept. When I speak, however, I have to know every word. I feel like it takes me 5 minutes to come up with a question or a sentence. Zoila is so patient. It is getting harder to switch between languages. My Spanish is so broken at the moment, but I am constantly trying to communicate in my broken spanish. Now as I am trying to write this blog, my mind is trying to insert Spanish words and phrases and switch the order of the words.

The main point right now is to get me to talk...to get my idea across. The correct grammar is not a necessity at the moment. Zoila will correct some things, but not my verb tense at the moment. She will give me a regular verb -ar, -er, -ir. I will quickly congugate it in the present. She will then ask me a question using the verb. I will respond and we will discuss the topic for 3 to 4 sentences back and forth. We will then move to the next verb. Yesterday she also read me a story in spanish. When she was finished I had to tell her the story in spanish.

Life in Pana
I am learning about the Mayan culture here both through living here and through my conversations with Zoila. These are more facts than anything.
Coffee (Café): Although Guatemala is known for their coffee, most if it is exported. Instant coffee is served to guests because it is more expensive. In their mind it is an honor to have instant coffee. The locals drink organinc coffee as they call it.

Alcohol: single women are not allowed to drink alocohol. They are only allowed to once they are married. Married women are allowed to drink as an escape.

Clothes (las ropas): Shorts are never worn. The men wear pants and tshirts or button down shirts. The women wear long straight skirts and short sleeve tops and a belt. The younger women and girls often have less color in their clothes. The older women have many colors and their clothes are more expensive. Rarely do the top and skirt and belt match. They do not have many sets of clothes.

Languages (idomas): There were over 20,000 Mayan dialects, not there are less because the children learn spanish in school but not the dialects. Each town has its own dialect. This morning, I heard the dialect that is spoken here in Pana. I can´t remember the name at the moment.

The lake(el lago): I really enjoy going to the lake each morning. As I mentioned there are many venders at the lake. The first two days I went to the lake, every vender tried to sell us their product or a ride on their boat. Today, though, only one asked me. I am glad they are starting to recognize that the girl with the red jacket will not buy anything.

The town (El pueblo): I think I finally have most of the town figured out. It is not that big and I normally do not get lost easily. Here, however, there are no street signs or address. All the streets look the same...brightly colored buildings, cobble stones, markets. Also there of course are no side walks. This means that you have to share the road with bicycles, tut tuts(very small taxis), chicken buses, and other pedestrians. Here pedestrians do not have the right of way... it is every man for themselves whether in car or on foot.

Well off to review my spanish vocabulary.

2 comments:

  1. I am catching up on your blog...you have posted a lot since I last read! My favorite part so far is learning about how married women are allowed to drink as an escape. I am sharing with Reid--how funny! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought is was very interesting as well!

    ReplyDelete