Sunday, May 18, 2014

Two Worlds Collide

I had a wonderful time with friends spending the afternoon and evening in Palm Springs. It is about 30 mile drive from Joshua Tree. Many of you have probably heard of this city. Many of the movie stars and musicians would come hang out in Palm Springs to get away from the business of Los Angeles.  Some apparently still do. With that being said, it is a nice area with several golf courses, stores with high end items as well as the closest Target and Trader Joe's. There is a strip in the middle of downtown full of nice restaurants, bars, shops, and hotels. Even though it is still in the desert, there is much more green than up the hill in the hi desert. The tall palm trees are everywhere with the backdrop of 8-10,000 feet mountains.

My friends and I stopped at a consignment store, Starbucks, Target, Tiki bar with pool, live music and vendors, nice restaurant, and Trader Joes. Several people have asked me how I am transitioning to life in the United States. God has been gracious as eased the transition by stay with friends, spending days hiking alone in beautiful parks and spending a weekend in Joshua Tree getting settled. Today was the first day I was truly aware of the distinct differences in way of life between developed countries and cities and developing countries and rural settings since I have been back. I seem to have more reverse culture shock. I have more difficulty coming back here (United States) than going there (where ever there is).  Simply expressed, two different worlds. 

As I was thinking about two worlds colliding, I realized this happens anytime two or more cultures interact. Different cultures, one of the very things that makes this world so fun and interesting to explore. I have realized through my travels near and far that a different culture may be encountered by sharing a meal with a neighbor at their home, hanging out with coworkers, or traveling aboard. Each family has their own culture. Their culture is influenced by tradition, world views, learning new things, blending the past with the present, laws of the land, and more.  While the culture may be starkly different than mine, it is not inherently wrong. In fact, I usually learn something. Perhaps I will learn a new food I enjoy, a new way to prepare food, clean, decorate that makes life better, easier, simpler. The culture of course tends to vary the wider you go: different area of town, different town, different part of the state, state, area of country, country.While there are a few things that are morally wrong and sinful, like murder, many of the differences should be appreciated.  

My life here in the United States is not wrong. In fact, it is because I live here in a comfortable apartment with a car, nice clothes, food in the refrigerator, lights to turn on/off, water to run, and air conditioning that I can serve others far and near. Serving others can be people down the street with a smile and a wave or giving a listening ear to the older lady I met at the grocery store today who lives by herself and needed to share with me about her dogs, cats, and birds at home for 15 minutes. It can be volunteering in another country or on a college campus or reservation or teaching in a school. It can be done in such a variety of ways! I hope you enjoy your little corner of the world while continuing to learn about others.




No comments:

Post a Comment