Friday, May 2, 2014

Right Side Mirror of the Car...Prosthetic Leg...Poncho

When I arrived back to the United States, I got into the driver seat of the car and starting driving. At some point, I needed to change to the right lane on the highway. I looked over into the right side mirror to see if there were any cars to my right. It was only then I noticed the right side mirror had been folded in and was only showing my hands on the steering wheel. I did change lanes safely, but had to do additional steps of checking in the rear view mirror extra times and physically double checking my right blind spot. When I arrived at my destination, I promptly got out of the car and carried on with life. It was not until I needed to change lanes to the right again that I remember the issue. This time I realized how we all are like right side mirrors, flipdown sun shade in the car, and ponchos in life. 

We all have a specific role, purpose, gifts that have the potential to work well together to do wonderful things. Yes jobs can be done if we do not all perform our part, but it is more difficult for everyone. One of the examples of everyone working together came to mind...making a prosthetic leg for a little girl I met on Mercy Ships. It took two creative physical therapists, carpentry department, and a sleeve from another little boy on the ship who has a prosthetic leg.  

A paper cup was cut open in order to size over the stump and measurements taken. The cup was then filled with plaster. Once it hardened, splinting material was molded over the plaster to make a cup for the stump to fit into. Carpentry spent many hours cutting, shaping, connecting, and securing the metal components of the leg to the cup. It fit the little girl! A sleeve that helps secure the prosthetic leg to the stump was given by another little boy on the ship. 

Immediately after putting the leg on, the girl who had never walked in her life was able to stand up with very little support. She was given a walker to borrow while learning how to walk. The very next appointment, it was evident her mom was very involved and had a strong intuition on how to work with her daughter. She had her daughter kicking her hand or other items to work on shifting weight and balancing. The little girl could walk independently using the walker. The mom did not pick her up when she did not want to walk any more. She would let her rest and then ask her to continue. Within about a week or two, the child had much improved knee control. It was amazing the teamwork.  

I went on a road trip and hiking trip to many National Parks in southern Utah this past week. (More on that later).  This meant I had a lot of time to think. So, be ready for many more blog entries in the near future :) As I was thinking about the importance of everyone's "job", I encountered two other examples. The first is the sunshade thing that you can flip down while driving into the sun to make it easier to see in necessary. We do not use it every day. When we need it though, we simply reach up and flip it down. We expect it to be there when we need it. It does a great job!

The second example is a poncho. Some back story is required to full appreciate this one. Mom and Dad had a lifelong dream to travel to the Colorado Rockies. The summer I was 16 years old, we went as a family of four. Mom and Dad planned and prepared for months. Mom is a detailed person and likes to be prepared for all possible circumstances. We all had appropriate hiking shoes, personal day backs which held water, snacks, jacket for higher elevations, extra socks, and last but not least a poncho that we could wear over the backpack when it rained. During the summer month, it is common for a thunderstorm to suddenly blow in in the afternoon. We used the ponchos multiple times that trip.

I have kept mine ever since. It has gone on many many hikes over the years. I have never used it, but glad to know I had it if I needed it. This past week while traveling in southern Utah, I used it! Thanks Mom! The forecast was for rain and snow all day depending on the elevation. I decided I had rainpants, wintercoat, and a poncho. A little or alot of rain won't make me melt.  The rain had stopped when I began the hike into the canyon. About 15 minutes into the hike, the dark grey clouds were nearing and thunder rumbled in the distance. Soon the big raindrops began to fall. I pulled out my trusty poncho from the backpack, and put it on over the backpack. The rain continued for about another 20 minutes, but the buds and new leaves on the cottonwood trees were bright green from the rain. The rain let up and I made it to the beautiful waterfall with everything underneath the poncho dry. The poncho did its job!

I hope you are encouraged as I was to be reminded that we all do have a "job" and "place" in this world. We are needed. We may live for several days, weeks, or years without the fulfillment we are seeking, but one day everything will click and we will be needed. We will be at just the right place for such a time as this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment