Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mailing Address?

What is your mailing address? A simple question; one I never hesitated to answer until about two years ago. For a majority of people, there is an easy answer. For a traveling physical therapist it is not so easy to answer. For a traveling physical therapist who leaves the country for extended periods of time it is even more difficult to answer. 

Recently, I had to put my mailing address on a form. I asked the person "Will you be mailing something?" She looked me with a puzzled face and said no it is just for the records. The answer to the question what is your mailing address depends on several factors. Will I need the actual piece of mail? A bill or contract, for instance. When do I need it? Can it wait a week to be forwarded? Will it be left outside my door? Will I be able to get the package after business hours?  

Most bills can be paid online, but some it is still easier to pay through the mail. If I needed it right away, and my current address is on record with the USPS I will have it mailed to the current address. If it can wait, I will have it mailed to the permanent address and have it forwarded to my current address. If if is a package, I will usually mail it to work. Often if you are not home, they will either leave it outside or not leave it at all. When I work business hours, 20 minutes from the local post office, it is challenging to get items there. When filling out forms I now have to make sure I have the correct billing and mailing address depending on the factors above. 

I am thankful for the US postal service. I have used it more in the past few months than ever in my life; I think. If you are like me, you likely do not realize how useful it still is. I have used it to get important documents, information, medications, shoes, etc from across the country. When you are a traveler, it is nice to have a home base. A permanent address which includes someone who can tell you of important mail as well as mail items too you. Thanks Dad! 

This too is effected on Mercy Ships. Yes I can receive mail on Mercy Ships. I will give details when the time approaches for me to return. Also, I found it interesting that the mail carriers are the crew. Often when crew return to their country of residence the will be asked to carry letters from fellow crew in their country. Pretty neat!

While I do think I will settle one day, I am not sure when. For the unseen future, I will continue to think about my answer to "What is your mailing address?"  This is a small factor in the life of adventure that I did not think about until I began my journey. 



No comments:

Post a Comment