Saturday, May 24, 2014

Off the Beaten Path.

Yesterday, I was THAT girl. The one you wonder why is she walking on the side of the road? Well, I was at least in Joshua Tree National Park, in broad daylight, facing against traffic. Let me back up and tell you why this was the scenario. 

I had been hesitant to go on a hike by myself in the park since I have been back. The reason was I am afraid of snakes. While, I know they are not all poisonous, this is rattlesnake season. They come out as the temperatures rise to sun themselves. Although I personally have not seen one yet, I have two friends who have seen them on their property in the past few weeks. One of my coworkers who has lived in the desert for years gave me some wisdom. Rattlesnakes often can sense you coming. They are usually more afraid of you than you of them. (I am not sure about that one). He said that usually if you just keep walking, they will not bother you. He also said that the most common place to be bit is on your bottom. This occurs as people will sit on a rock to rest without looking before they sit. A rattler may be in the crevice or just behind the rock. This was confirmed with a ranger.

I thought when I woke up around 6:45am: "I enjoy hiking. I have a day off with beautiful weather (60- low 70). I am not going to let the snakes win. I will be careful and go early in the day before it gets too hot."  I was at the trailhead by 7:45am. The hike was supposed to be 12 miles round trip (not much elevation gain until the last 1.5 mile or so) ending on the highest peak in the park. I started out on the hike playing the new game of looking for flowers in the desert (it like an egg hunt). I was rewarded with finding several different ones along the trail. It was interesting to see baby Joshua Trees as well. Many of the trees in this area had been burned by a forest fire years ago. The burned Joshua trees send out roots to start another right beside it.

According to the trail description in my book, about 4.5 miles into the hike there was a trail that went north from the end of the dirt road was on leading to Quail Mountain. I found what looked like a trail. Here in the desert it can be questionable sometimes as the sand moves with the wind. If the trail is not used heavily, it can become less clear. I followed the trail making sure I remember the peaks behind me for landmarks. I trekked across the "field" staying on the "trail" best I could. It ended at the base of the mountain. I started to ascend the mountain up a rocky wash. The "trail" became less and less clear and the description in my book was not helpful. I decided it would be best for me to abandon the effort and turn around so I would not get lost.

I retraced my steps down the mountain to the trail that I had followed, or so I thought.  I  never returned to the dirt road. I was in a big open space and could not see it. I knew which peaks were ahead of me. I thought that if I ascended them I could see where the trail was to head back to my car. I could not see it anywhere. I was grateful I had a simple map, extra water and food with me and that it was only noon. I knew the general direction to go so I continued bushwhacking of sorts through the scrub bushes. My fear of snakes was usurped by getting back to the trail. I picked another peak for the landmark and off I went. After hiking a ways, I saw some building off in the distance. I knew it was in the opposite direction of the car, but figured I could get to a parking lot that I knew. If I could, I would walk the road back to my car.

Off I went walking in the wash which had some foot prints, a welcomed sight. I continued walking in the wash for awhile until it seemed to go a different direction than the buildings. I then decided to head straight for the buildings. I carried my hiking sticks behind me making noise by hitting them together to alert any animals of my presence before I arrived. I saw one snake, not a rattler, two jack rabbits, one coyote in broad daylight, and many lizards. When I arrived to the buildings I was sad to see there was no clear trail to it. I did see a dirt road  that seemed to lead towards the parking lot I was going towards (not where my car was located), so I walked towards it. I did see cars driving in the distance. This was another welcomed sight. I knew that I was going to be able to get back to my car and out of the wilderness. I continued walking towards the parking lot. I arrived. taking the opportunity to sit in the shade and empty the sand out of my shoes before walking the several miles on the road back to my car.

Once walking on the road, I felt much safer as I knew exactly how to get back to my car. I finally did at 2:30pm (6.5 hours after heading out). The trail book stated it would take about 6-8 hours for hike. I usually am significantly under the suggested time. I took one more big sip of water when I got to the car. It was the last of the water in the pack. God is so good!  Also young woman looking for a different hike asked my for directions. I was able to give her clear directions as I had been there before myself. I am glad I knew the park fairly well. I clocked the distance I had walked on the road in my car on the way home. It was 3 miles. I think I must have hiked at least 14 miles, may be more. I was only worse for wear with a big blister on one foot. Not too bad.   

Today, I went on a 3 mile hike with elevation with a coworker. At the top of the mountain I could see exactly where I was yesterday and where I had gone. I did a very large circle for sure. I am so thankful I follow the guidelines every time I hike...Tell someone I am going and what time I should be back home, carry extra water, carry food, headlamp, sunscreen, hat, pocketknife, handkerchief, long sleeve shirt, whistle, and ID and a map of some sort. I knew that I would be ok.

 Don't worry; I learned my lesson stick to well marked trails only and hike with someone when ever possible. When I was driving out of the park, I passed two other people who were outfitted for hiking walking on the side of the road no where near a trailhead. I debated about posting this, but figured it was an adventure afterall. I know I should have GPS,etc believe me I have heard it all before. This is the first time and hopefully the last I will get off the beaten path literally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment