Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Big Sur

Being excited to be up at 3:00AM on a Wednesday morning, means it's adventure time! After a quick shower and packing the final items, I drove on the empty roads to a friend's house. Yes, a friend who was very kind to get up at 4AM to take me to the airport. I had to check a bag as I was bringing a tent that had stakes. I made it through security only losing an unopened peanut butter container. Who knew that the consistency was too close to a liquid? Smooth flights landed me in San Jose 1130ish PST. After getting the rental car, I drove what ended up being four hours to almost the end of the Big Sur coast.

In Carmel, I stopped at a Safeway to purchase peanut butter and three gallons of water for drinking. The cellphone signal dropped immediately when entering the Big Sur area. The road reminds me of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Harepin turns, overlooks/turnouts, beautiful scenery. Mountains meeting the sea is beautiful even when cloudy/foggy. Just as I was beginning to regret picking a campground so far down the coast, I saw the sign for Sand Dollar Beach. I was exhausted, but had arrived. 
Bixby Bridge

Not a bad view while grazing

Sand Dollar Beach

A seat just for you


After setting up the tent, I went for a stroll on the bluffs and down to Sand Dollar Beach. After getting settled in. I turned in at about 7PM PST. The next morning, I awoke too early and tried to be still until an acceptable time to break camp. At 6:00, I packed up and drove up the coast. All choices have consequences. Driving up the coast early is no different. One is rewarded by very few cars, but have to accept fog hanging on the mountains making the water grey. 

I arrived at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park with no other cars around. I make the quick hike to the falls. It was special to be here alone. Why you ask? Mom hung a picture of these falls in the sun in my parent's bedroom many years ago. I think the picked it simply because of the blue colors and Dad's love of waterfalls. It was pretty special to be standing where the photographer had been standing. I wonder if she knows I was there? 


parts of a foundation of the "waterfall house" built by the Pfeiffer family. The bedroom  had a view of the falls.

View from the front door. 
I decided I would prefer a hike in the redwoods up the mountain across the road despite knowing I would miss the beautiful views of the ocean at the top. The cool morning temperature, birds chirping, bubbling of stream that fed the waterfall, towering redwood, and scattered wildflowers did not disappoint. As I was descending the loop people were ascending. Perfect timing :)



Where the ocean is under fog


After driving more windy beautiful miles on the coast, I checked in to Pfeiffer State Park where I would be camping. I read in a brochure about Pfeiffer beach. It is a beach down a road without a road sign. The area offers a river running into the ocean, waves have worn natural bridges in rocks, sand beaches to walk/relax while listening to the crashing waves. After a nap of a rock, the sun was burning off the fog. I drove down several miles of the coast to see it in the sunlight. The colors are completely different. Turquoise, bright blue, deep blue, green hills, light blue sky. Beautiful!





Taking advantage of the sun and trying to stay up alittle later, I decided to hike to the view and Pfeiffer Falls in Pfeiffer State Park. On the way, I met three older gentleman who were backpackers in Sierra Mountains usually, but wanted to take advantage of shoulder season at Big Sur.  After exchanging small talk at the view, they suggested Wilder Ranch State Park and Henry Cowell State Park near Santa Cruz. I noted those for Saturday and Sunday. 


Not the car I rented :)

Some of many people on the coastal highway


Pfeiffer Falls

View of the valley and to the coast
I turned in early again reading while listening to the river about 10 feet away is a great way to end the day. 














No comments:

Post a Comment