Thursday, May 19, 2016

 Point Lobos State Reserve

Waking up early again. This time, however, several others were up near by. I left camp and drove up the coast to Monterey. Veteran's Memorial Park has camp sites on a first come, first serve basis. I arrived to find an empty spot. I claimed it and paid. I drove through Carmel on my way to Point Lobos State Reserve.

Upon arrival, I noticed an artist setting up to paint. She reported that this weekend was the annual Carmel Art Festival. One of the main features is 60 painting of local places by artists. I had planned to hike around the entire peninsula. After walking through the cypress forest, I learned about the "successful" whaling company that was stationed there. The company killed about 200 of the 400 whales on the west coast during that time period.

Cypress Trees
Hiking partner
I feel like I am being watched 
The next arm of the peninsula housed sea lions. Many were lounging on the sand or rocks. A few were playing in the water.  A short incline lead to the top of cliffs where no one else was. A walk through the forest brought me to the south shore where a type of black bird was nesting. Lots of them.
Further walking lead to tide pools at low tide. No starfish, but several different types of crabs. Just beyond this area one could walk out on the cliffs and watch the water crash on the rocks. While walking the final part of the loop porpoises could be seen and a whale briefly.







Fog starting to part

unique rock formations

Maybe petrified wood
  The fog was gone by 3:00. I drove back down the coast to see a different part of it in the sunlight. I was once again joined by many people. I went to Garrapata State Park unknowingly.  I pulled over at a turnout and walked down a trail to a quiet beach. When I came back up to the car and continued driving, I saw the sign for the park.




I decided to drive back to Carmel and stop at the art festival before heading to camp. I also wanted to get ice cream. After all, is it really a vacation without ice cream? Carmel is known for very nice restaurants and stores. I thankfully found parking and an ice cream shop. No coconut ice cream, so green mint  chocolate chip. I walked down to the beach in a wind jacket, hiking pants, chacos and dirty feet. Most other patrons were dressed to the nines and hurrying to dinner.

The paintings at the art festival were neat to see especially since I had seen several painters in action. I thought I could quickly set up the tent and walk down to see the sunset. Well, the walk to the sunset did not work out well as I never made it to the beach. I thought the road would, but it just kept going and going.
The one person tent is really for one person

No comments:

Post a Comment