Thursday, April 7, 2016

New:

A couple of weeks ago now, I was so happy when I heard the news that a patient was receiving a heart transplant. The patient ,born with a heart defect, is now a teenager. The patient and family had been waiting months for a new heart while in the hospital. I was struck with the emotions of it all. The happiness of a new heart, a second chance hand in hand with another family grieving the loss of a child. My thoughts wondered to the parallels in Christians' story. We all needed new hearts. Someone, Jesus, had to die for us to receive a heart transplant. I have read the parables about the lost son, coin, sheep and the celebration of one being found. I, however, have not experienced that joy in people. The joy I felt when I heard the news carried me through several days.


 Another parallel between a physical heart transplant and spiritual heart transplant is the rest of the body. The hours and days immediately following the transplant are vital. The organs, especially the lungs and kidneys, have to adjust to the new heart and the blood flow. The new heart changes the environment of the body totally. When Jesus changes our hearts, our lives and bodies adjust too. Once someone has an organ transplant the first several months other areas of their life change...wearing a mask, diet, socializing are a few. We too should have changes in our life choices that are evident.

Another aspect of new is spring. I enjoy the beauty of spring. The colors, the variety, the warmer days. First the daffodils, then pears, cherry trees, tulips, then my favorite dogwoods and azaleas. A week ago Saturday, I went to Duke Gardens.  I was missing Mom. She enjoyed spending time here. I figured something would be in bloom there. I was welcomed by a path lined with cherry trees in full bloom. The trees were beautiful throughout the gardens. When I arrived at the center section, I was overwhelmed with hundreds of tulips. Many colors, sizes, and shapes filled the tiers. Just beautiful. Earlier this week while on a run, I noticed all the daffodils are closed and brown. The cherry blooms gave way to light green leaves. Dogwood are still in bloom. The scripture in Matthew 6 that reminds us that God and Jesus create and care for the flowers of the field that are here today and gone tomorrow. How much more can we trust God to care for us. I also thought of the scripture in Isaiah that states, the grass withers, the flowers fade, but the word of God stands forever.

Do you ever feel like the one pink one in all the purple? :)



potential

Opening

Beauty of everyone doing their part







No comments:

Post a Comment