Monday, October 13, 2014

Want versus Need

How do you prepare for going to live on a ship in Africa for at least 5 months? What about the added potential of unexpected opportunities for adventures off the ship? There are some unique considerations about what to bring. When I went to the ship in the spring, I had little notice prior to going and packed largely from what I already had in California (not home). I had almost everything I needed and made do. This time, however, having seen what would make life easier and better in someways I will be packing differently. One thing is the same...limited storage.

The dresscode is different on the ship...long pants/capris or long skirts and no tank tops worn outside the cabins. Essentially, knees and shoulders are required to be covered including exercise clothing. Although, I would consider myself modest by "American" standards, I did not own any long skirts or long (basketball length shorts). With this in mind and planning to return this fall, I began frequenting thrift stores and discount stores on the hunt for specific items.  Over the months, God has been faithful and provided everything I wanted. Many of these additions to the wardrobe will be useful here as well.

As I have been preparing and packing, I keep thinking about how much stuff I have accumulated. I have clothes for work, clothes for running, hiking, hanging around the house, church clothes, summer clothes, winter clothes for each category. I have basic kitchen supplies, books and books, and important papers, phone, car, computer, etc. Although I try to live simply, I still have good amount of stuff. I am grateful for all of it. It all serves its purpose. I am grateful for the modern convenience and technology of washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, stove, oven, 

As with any trip, one has to consider where and how to store what is brought. This brings up the issue of want versus need...a first world problem. Sure we have many things that do their job well. Many of them, however, only do one job. I have a leftover container that is useful for storing food, batteries, etc. Like anytime you travel, you have to plan outfits with a few shirts, pants, skirts. Sure there are items that would be nice to have, but I can more than "make do" with what I have. Living like this requires a change in expectation. 

I packed everything in a backpacking style backpack, laptop carrying backpack and a small gym back. All together, it weighed about 15 kg. Not too bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment