Thursday, October 30, 2014

Learning can be Fun

Yesterday was the first full day of orientation with orthopedic rehabilitation team and nurses. It was a wonderful day. I tried new things, laughed, starting building trust, learned/ was exposed to a lot of new information.

The day began with Elise and I having plaster casts donned. We wanted to feel and experience mobility (walking and stairs)  with a short cast. While the casts were setting/drying we had a devotional about serving with the right heart. Serving the way Jesus did and wants us to do...selflessly. After devotions, Kalinda cut one side of the cast to show me how to do it. It also allowed me to experience it and gain confidence the cast saw would not cut me when used properly. I then cut the other side to bi-valve the cast. This is done  just after surgery to accommodate for swelling and to take it off.
First casts made with plaster
Cast saw in Kalinda's skilled hands

Dean and Elise and I teaching and learning


We also practiced ascending and descending stairs with crutches and long leg casts. It requires significant energy to perform the task. It is necessary for the children to do prior to hospital discharge as they may have stairs at home likely without rails. They will be able to practice daily as the hospital is on Deck 3 and they play on Deck 7 which is open to air in the afternoons. The children, however, will not have to climb all the flights of stairs as many will have long leg casts.
Short leg cast on and ready to teach the ortho nurses

After some orientation information, we returned to the inpatient treatment room for the first lesson of working with club feet. After discussing some of the details, it was time to cast. Dr. Frank, who enjoys teaching, gave Elise and I both pointers and step by step direction as we made our first casts. Experience is the best teacher. Making a quality cast is truly is an art. It will take doing it many times to skilled. After many good laughs and taking photos to document the occasion, Elise and I had to cut off the casts. I will admit, I was apprehensive of using a cast saw.
Kalinda and Dean's turn to be models for us
First cast. I still have a ways to go on perfecting my skills



Fun with Rehab Team!


If you are unfamiliar with one, they are noisy and the do have a blade. The blade vibrates rather than rotates. As long a the cuts remain perpendicular to the surface it will not cut the skin. Another key component is to keeping the saw in one place for long. The blade gets hot. If it is in one place too long, it can burn the skin. Rotating the blade to cut with a different area and cooling it with a damp cloth help prevent burning. The more experienced one becomes, the quicker one can take off the cast. It took me a good twenty minutes to cut both sides. I am happy to report to burns or cuts to skin were made.
Working hard
Success. Cast put on and taken off. 

I also was able to laugh with a couple of my roommates last night. Laughter truly is a mood lifter. It is was so nice to laugh. I am so thankful to be learning. I am learning information all the time.




No comments:

Post a Comment