Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Change is in the air

I have been busy since I departed from Charlotte. As I sit here taking time to write, I think I will write from present before writing about the safari. As I sit here in Midships for "Julia time," the ship is quiet as many of the crew are out in the shops, restaurants, huge mall, riding a ferris wheel on the waterfront in Cape Town. Don't worry, I have had fun too and am ready for a quiet night. In fact, as soon as I arrived on the ship Saturday afternoon, I dropped my bags in my cabin. Grabbing the essentials, I quickly went to explore the waterfront before dinner.

The majority of the crew that will be joining here in Cape Town for the sail arrived yesterday and today. It was amazing the difference in the number of people from Saturday to today. The ship is buzzing with life. We had our usual Monday morning meeting today where we were briefed on the schedule for preparing the ship for the sail. The ship received the fuel today. The final preparations of securing everything for the sail and the usual orientation of about 40 people are occurring simultaneously.  I was able to set up bank account, pay for crew fees, buy toiletries and toilet paper at the ship shop. After reading manuals for rehab team, I enjoyed a walk with a friend on the waterfront to warm up in the afternoon sun. Other details of settling in and learning about orthopedics made up the rest of the day. 

Everyone who is on the sail has a job. Usually the job is different from their job while docked in port. I found out today that my training in the dish room and dining room a Messiah College will be put to good use. I will be working in the dining room for the next little while. I have met my cabinmates. Currently, I have one from New Mexico, one from England, and one from Belgium. I have a 6 berth, but currently only 4 of us are here. I have also eaten meals with a doctor from Germany, radiologist technician from California, Operating Nurse from New Zealand. I have also seen several people who were serving on the ship when I was this spring. 

Tomorrow will be full of meetings for rehab department, orientation, and a little fun hopefully touring Cape Town on a double decker bus. Well, as life on the ship goes, a friend met me in Midships as I was writing. Three of us ended up enjoying an evening stroll, eating icecream while listening to live music and chatting. The saying goes,  "Life is hard, but someone has to do it. "  

No comments:

Post a Comment