Saturday, September 20, 2014

Madagascar

The day after finding out the news from McKenzie Institute, I heard from Mercy Ships. I will be going to Madagascar by way of South Africa. Yes, you read that correctly. I will be meeting the Africa Mercy in Capetown on October 12th. I will then sail to Madagascar. It is amazing to me that God is blessing me with desires of my heart one after another this week.

Since I was a little girl, I have wanted to travel to Madagascar to enjoy His unique creation on the island. Many of the insect, animal, and plant species are only living there. I remember posting beautiful sunsets with silhouetted trees on the last slide of power point presentations in school. I saw an episode on a travel channel several years ago about one of the people groups living in Madagascar. I thought it would be fascinating to travel there. I put it in the box of maybe one day in my brain. I also thought it would be a neat experience to sail on the ship. I have never sailed on a large ship.

Although I am glad to have a date and destination, I will admit I am a little nervous. The type I always get with transition. The mix: uncertainty of the unknown, excitement of change, the adventure of new places and meeting new people, thoughts about sleeping and eating a diet different than my preferences, eating at set times, the thoughts about learning new skills, wondering if I will catch on quickly enough, will the flights and sail be smooth, will I remember to bring what I need?

It is times like these that I really miss Mom. So much has gone on in a short amount of time that I would want to share with her: accomplishments, dreams met, pondering about life, questions of where I will be and what I will do in the future. Sometimes I wonder if Mom knows what has occurred in my life in the past 6 years. 

While I think of her often, missing her comes at unexpected times. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to walk on the beach during high tide at sunset. All of a sudden, I missed her. Walking on the beach was something we enjoyed together. I wanted to share the recent happening with her. Mom enjoyed the ocean waves crashing, long walks on the beach, the breeze on your skin, wet sand under your feet with periodic waves covering them, sunrises, sunsets, looking for shells and the occasional whole sand dollar or starfish.

Whether she knows or not, I am thankful for the good foundation she and Dad provided with God's help. It has enabled me to branch out, explore, try new things, pursue dreams. I am thankful for special times we had together, the things she taught me about life and the world, security to be myself, and most of all how to keep Jesus first in life. 

Well, that was likely more than you bargained for reading in a blog. I will keep you posted on the continued adventures in life. 

2 comments:

  1. Bravo for taking the road less travelled.
    I'm sure your mother is/was/will always be proud of you.

    Cape Town is extraordinarily beautiful.
    Make sure to take a few days to see it.
    Table mountain is absolutely breathtaking.
    PM me if you have any questions, I was just there last week.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cape Town is beautiful. I would like to come back one day. I only had 1.5 days to see it. There is so much to do in and around the city.

    ReplyDelete