Friday, September 12, 2014

Meeting a Role Model

There are few things that meet our expectations in life. I had a wonderful experience this past Monday. Let me back up a minute. I am currently waiting to hear from Mercy Ships when and where I will be serving. In the meantime, no employer wants to hire me for short term with flexible end date. I understand this. This, has given me the liberty to do activities and see people I would not ususally be able to during the work day. I heard an announcement on a Christian radio station while I was scanning the channels driving somewhere. The only information I caught was that Joni Eareckson Tada was going to be at Billy Graham Library September 8th. When I returned home I looked at the library's website. Sure enough. Joni was going to be there for a book signing and was going to speak first around 1:30.

I do not know how many of you know of or who Joni Eareckson Tada is. She is a Christian woman whose life was drastically changed at the young age of 17. After breaking her neck in a diving accident 47 years ago, she became quadriplegic. She also fought breast cancer a few years ago. She has been married to Ken Tada for 32 years (I think 32 years). God has used her to write 50 books, travel to 47 countries where she works with the disabled and spreads Jesus's love practically with wheelchairs and speaking engagements. Through her tragedy, God has brought so much hope and encouragement to the physically disabled and physically able. She has been honest and open with her journey processing why this happened, why she survived, why she was not healed physically, fought depression, doubt, anger, joy, peace, relationship with God. Romans 8 comes to mind. God will work all things out for the good of those who love Him and are called according to his purposes. She obviously wanted and still wants to be healed physically, but has allowed God to use her. She has no doubt encouraged more people and pointed them to Jesus due to having quadriplegia than she likely would have without it.

My parents exposed us to children and adults with disabilities from a young age. I knew they went to therapy or therapy came to their house to help them grow and develop. When I was about 8 years old, I read one of Joni's books written for young children called Meet My Friends. The book described three children's daily lives. It also included their journey to accepting their disability and finding a special benefit of having it. For example, the boy who used a wheelchair performed more pullups than any other child in his class.  I remember thinking how neat to love people for who they are.

As many of you know, I now have a career in physical therapy. One of the main reasons I chose this career was to be able to offer hope to those who are hurting and help them return to living life the best they can now. Life may be very different, but it is not over. I have always respected people like Joni who keep living life to the fullest but are honest about the reality of the ups and downs and leaning on God.

 I arrived to the signing at a great time as I was close to the front of the stage where she spoke. I also was standing in line with a couple who was celebrating their 28 year wedding anniversary. Their son was in occupational therapy school. Joni's speech was a wonderful expression of trusting God is good, faithful, and able to heal. He, however, sometimes chooses to heal us deeper than the physical body. He has ultimately taken the worse suffering away by dying on the cross and rising again. If we accept Him as Lord and Savior, we will not suffer eternally. He can use the suffering here on earth to refine us individually making us more like Jesus. He can use the suffering to help us bless others who are also suffering. She ended with hope that we are all to be used by God to love people.

The  number of people in attendance was about 200. We were allowed to have two books signed. She signed 400 books by holding a pen in her mouth. I had her sign the Meet My Friends book and her new book Beside Bethesda. When she saw the Meet My Friends book, she replied, "Oh, I love this book. It is an old one." It was a wonderful afternoon meeting one of my role models in person. Something I never even knew was possible as she travels a lot and lives in California. It was a wonderful reminder to me that God knows where I am and what is happening in my life. He choses to bless us with experiences like this sometimes. It is good for the heart.  I gave me the boost of encouragement to keep trusting God for His timing and direction. No matter where I am, be honest with Him and allow Him to work through me to love people.

No comments:

Post a Comment