Saturday, July 19, 2014

National Parks: Switchbacks

Another similarity between National Parks (really most mountains) and life are the switchbacks often experienced. Many roads and trails in National parks often have switchbacks. The hike or road begins on the canyon floor with a beautiful view of mountains or rock formations towering in front of you.  After a little while, the elevation gain begins to increase rapidly. Soon one becomes thankful for the switchbacks. While hiking or driving on the switchback, one can only see the canyon wall directly in front of you or a steep drop off beside you. With each switchback progress is made up the mountain and the view changes from rock to overlooking the canyon depending which switchback you are on at the moment. As you climb higher, you can look back and down to see how far you have come. While climbing, one may wonder when will they reach the top as the switch backs seem endless. When one does reach the top, the view is amazing. You can see most of the valley as the view is 360 degrees. The view truly is worth the climb.

How is this like life? Well, at least my life journey, has switchbacks literally. I have bounced back and forth from North Carolina, Southern California, Guatemala, and now Mercy Ships several times. Each time there was a foundation which new adventures and challenges were built upon.  Each transition seemed impossible as I was looking at the tall mountain in front of me. Walking one foot in front of the other with God by my side, I make the turn and am able to look back at the switchback. I am able to see it was a necessary season or experience to get to where I am. Often the view and experience is better than I could have planned or arranged. Below I delineate switchbacks in the last several years. 

 After graduate school, I moved to the Pasadena area of California with the dream of practicing physical therapy during the week and traveling to National Parks on the weekends. Immediately after arriving, my life changed drastically in the unexpected passing of my mother. My job required more hours than anticipated which did not allow for traveling on the weekends. Instead, I forged many close friendships in the area which I still maintain today. I did have the opportunity to hike several trails in the San Gabriel Mountains and train for my two marathons with a great team.

Once again, life took an unexpected turn quickly. I resigned my job and traveled to Guatemala for 6 weeks which was a wonderful time of fellowship with old friends, new friends, and seeing a new part of the world. While at the Spanish school one day, I heard about a Christian orphanage up the hill that used many volunteers year round. I wanted to come back and work there one day, but I did not see how that would be plausible. I returned the United States and worked for 3 years in North Carolina. While living there again, I was blessed with making several good friends, growing in physical therapy skills, and healing inside with family and friends who experience the loss I had a few years prior.

I still had the desire to travel but was unsure when or how. When life changed again, I signed up with travel physical therapy company. I was able to return to Guatemala again. God paved the way for me to volunteer at the orphanage in Solola called Eagle's Nest. It was wonderful. I still have a special place in my heart for those children and would like to return one day. God surprised me by providing the same host family and teacher I had 3 years prior. This was wonderful as I traveled alone this time and was using the public transportation daily to and from the orphanage. New adventures on the foundation of knowing the town, family, and teacher.

While I was on a travel assignment last fall, I decided pursue another dream applying to Mercy Ships. I was told I was 8th on the waiting list for fall 2014. I did not have my hopes up for going fall 2014. After two travel assignments and no good jobs options in North Carolina with three companies for a month, I took a job here in Joshua Tree, California. I was living literally 5 miles from the National Park entrance and about 2 hours from friends I made while in California before.

After being in California for 2 months, I was surprised to receive a response back from Mercy Ships. They actually had an opening in a month. Would I be able to come? As you know now, I went. Another dream come true. I would not have been able to go on short noticed expect, the dates of my travel contract ending coincided with Mercy Ships' position.

Before leaving the ship, I committed to returning to the ship this fall. I,however, once again did not have a job for the summer. Once again within short order, I agreed to return to the same company here in the Joshua Tree area. I, however, was working in a different clinic. Another switchback: new adventures on a foundation. I did have the benefit of the same documentation and scheduling system. I had the adventure of new coworkers. I am living in the same complex, but different apartment. This one is even better as it has a couch on which to relax. In the winter, I hiked many trails all over the Park and local area. This summer, I have been able to share the Park with coworkers, meet new people, and strengthen friendships begun in the winter. Also, I have had the opportunity to experience another dream: visiting National Parks on several the weekends.

I sit here delineating these switchbacks in my life with yet another one on the horizon. Mercy Ships. I will be returning at the beginning of September.  Like these, many things will be the same which is comforting. Many other things, however, will be different, unique, an adventure. While I am on the road, hike, path of life heading up all I can see is way up. I can often lose my focus on God becoming overwhelms with anxiety as my mind gets to work figuring out how I can scale the height in front of me. As I return my focus and trust to God moving forward one step at a time, I am surprised by his blessings. He is able to see from the top and see there are switchbacks. He knows how it will work out. He gives the desires of our hearts in his timing. While it may seem I am headed in the exact opposite direction I want to go, impossible to occur, or too challenging, as long as I am walking with God it is right. It may be necessary to prepare me for the next switchback. The next beautiful view which is often better than I imagine. I am learning to trust him more and more with each one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment