Tuesday, June 17, 2014


Outings

The past few weeks I have taken advantage of some of the free opportunities in the area. I went to the Palm Springs Art Museum free second Sundays.  I attended a free tour with a docent. The tour began with about 8 people but ended with just 2. It was practically a private tour of the museum. The museum has an eclectic collection of art at the moment. The original collection was western art. Some of the galleries still display this type of art. I enjoyed hand woven Native American baskets the most. Several had lizards and rattlesnakes images woven into them to "scare" them away from what was in the baskets. I don't think it was effective, but it was interesting to see.  Another piece that was interesting were golden raindrops that were hung from the ceiling. The piece was commissioned for a Scandinavian lighthouse festival. Inside each of the blown glass raindrop the artists put a small piece of art (letter, painting). These are "hidden" and cannot be seen. 

I then went to a nearby park to read in the shade with my toes in grass. Yes,  shade and grass are not common here in the high desert. I enjoyed relaxing and reading a book thinking it was not too hot. When I got back into my car that was parked in the shade to head back up the hill the thermometer read 107 degrees Fahrenheit.  Since it is a dry heat unlike the southern United States or the Republic of Congo, it is not too hot. Thankfully, it has not been that hot for many days yet.

Also, last Sunday at church, I sat down beside a woman I had only seen from a distance. We began small talk. She asked where I was from and how long I had been here. I told her I was a travel physical therapist and I had been in Africa prior to moving back here. She said, "I like you, you are different." After church we continued chatting back and forth. Before I knew it, I agreed to be a greeter/guest book attendant at her wedding the following Saturday.  At the reception this past Saturday, I sat at the table with the groom's family who are from Puerto Rico originally.  By the end of the night, I was invited to their house for dinner in the near future where I can practice my Spanish. 

Thursday, I decided to go down to VillageFest in Palm Springs. It is a weekly street fair with food, art, soap, lotion, etc and music. I had tentatively planned on going with coworkers. The plans fell threw, but I decided I would go anyway to get out of the house and see something new. I parked my car and began walking towards the market. I greeted an African American woman as she passed by. I caught up to her while walking. We ended up talking and wandering through the street fair together. She was likely in her late forties and a Christian. It was such a blessing to have a friend to share the night with and to talk openly with someone who shares the same worldview. I even got to roast a marshmellow at one of the vendors. 

This Saturday morning I went to the local Swap Meet. It was similar to a flea market where you can find all sorts of odds and ends. Some junk, and some true deals. It was great people watching and interesting to see all the items ranging from clothes, to old rustic tools, to dirt bikes, to costume jewelry, to junk. 

To my surprise, I have been told by several different people that I am one of the happiest people they know. Some ask how I so often have a smile on my face. I do feel the most free and confident in God that I can remember. As many of you know, I have been growing in many different areas over the last few years. I would not say I was the most joyful person.  I am still growing daily. I am very aware of struggles and areas of improvement. It is often said we are our own worst critic. I am glad to hear that Jesus is shining through despite my flaws. This season in my life truly is an adventure for me. I never know what will happen.  Stay tuned for the next episode:)




No comments:

Post a Comment