Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Freedom

For years I have questioned why I was born here in the time that I was. I would often push down feelings of guilt. Through a process over several years, I have come to trust God's sovereignty that this was the best for me and Him. It has been freeing to believe this. The devotion from Jesus Calling for May 17th speaks to this. "As you sit here in My presence, remember that I am a God of abundance. I will never run out of resources; My capacity to bless you is unlimited. You live in a world of supply and demand, where necessary things are often scare. Even if you personally have enough, you see poverty in the world around you. It is impossible for you to comprehend the lavishness of My provisions:the fullness of My glorious riches.(Phil 4:19)...Rejoice in My abundance-living by faith, not by sight ( 2 Corinthians 5:7).

Although there are many people who live by faith trusting God for the daily bread literally, I have always been amazed by missionaries.  They step out in faith to serve trusting that God will provide what they need each month and when they are on furlough. I remember hearing story after story of God's faithful provisions for their needs. My family supported missionaries for years while I was growing up.  Sometimes we would support them with prayer only; sometimes with prayer and financial support. I was always aware that missionaries could not serve without our help. My mom made the wise analogy of comparing it to the military. The "front line" cannot fight or do their job without support from the home front making the supplies, shipping supplies, and providing moral.  Likewise, the missionaries serving here or abroad cannot do their job without prayer and financial support. One position is not more important than the other. It is truly a team effort. 

On another component of living in God's freedom is allowing yourself to enjoy the blessings and grace He gives you.
Sometimes they are financial, sometimes a necessity of life, sometimes a vacation or a thing you truly enjoy. Sometimes it is seeing a hummingbird, sunset, sunrise, a good conversation with a friend, a skirt, an unexpected free yogurt on a hot day, a wonderful day on a hike or with friends, a car, a place to live, confetti cupcakes on your birthday, etc. He is an extravagant God. We can look at the specifications He ordered for His temple. Cloth, gold, choice wood, to name some of the resources. He wants to bless us. He wants to provide our needs. I have seen Him do this over and over in my life in the past two years.

I have been living more freely than I ever imagined I would or could. I have needed a job, an answer for the immediate future, a place to live, a community multiple times. He has always provided.Proverbs 30: 8-10 expresses this well. "Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty or riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, "who is the Lord?" Or I may become poor and steal and so dishonor  the name of my God.  

I will tell you, it has not always been easy to trust. God often seems to wait until the last minute according to my timing. I think one of reasons God's "perfect timing" is  timed this way is so there is no mistake that God did it. It is not a coincidence. Also, we are called to a walk of faith. If faith was not required, He could provide our needs sooner than "the last minute." Lydia Prince, a woman who adopted 9 girls and raised them in Israel, would often say in dire situations, "It sure will be interesting to see how you work this one out, Lord." While it has gotten easier to trust, there is and always will be an element of faith involved in living in freedom.








No comments:

Post a Comment