Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Rainy Saturday--Community

This Saturday, I went with a group to an orphanage of boys and girls with special needs and who are HIV positive. It was cloudy when we left the ship. We drove about 20-30 minutes on paved and unpaved roads. While there we sang songs, talked about what prayer was, made a craft, and then played unorganized games. While we made the craft, the rain began. Several of the children and Mercy Ship crew played soccer in the mud. Well, chased, kicked, and slide in the mud for quite some time. 

I, however, had the privilege of stretching and working in core strength with a little girl who likely has cerebral palsy. I also had the opportunity to "play" Connect Four with a 12 year old boy with autism. He was perfectly content with picking out the yellow and only yellow pieces from the box. He then promptly placed all the piece back into the box.  Both of these children did not make eye contact, yet communication nonverbally. Often babies who have been abandoned or orphaned have difficulty connecting/bonding with anyone. One of the common physical characteristics of this is little to no eye contact. (This will tie in to the community bit at the end.)

When it began to rain harder and harder we decided it was time to leave as the unpaved roads fill with puddles quickly. We made it back to the ship safe and sound. As it had been raining, the ship was very quiet. Most people were in their cabins napping or watching a movie. I too enjoyed relaxing in the top bunk cubbie reading and writing. 

Some of the thoughts I was having were about community and love. How is community created? How is community maintained? How does community work with a constant flow of people in and out of it? How can I feel so alone in a crowd, yet feel so loved when  patients adult and children who are virtually stranger hug me?  Do not have answers to these questions. 

I do know that community is important. I know that we all crave to feel connected and apart of something greater than ourselves. I know too that we all have the innate quality to self-protect. I have been processing this as a travel physical therapist. How do you invest when you know you will be leaving in 3 months. While you will be leaving, connecting with a few people is critical. God has blessed be with a few deeper relationships everywhere I have gone. 

Here on the ship, it is different, people are constantly coming and going. About 25% of the crew changes over every month. Some are brand new, like me. While others are repeat offenders, as they say. This means they have come to multiple field-services, but they only stay for a few months. A short-termer's life here on the ship is very different than a longer termers. To the long termers credit, it is hard to make friends and have deeper relationships with people you know will be leaving in a few weeks. Your heart would get ripped to shreds if you invested in relationships over and over. I think they have a tight community.Those of us who are here for briefer stays tend to make friendships with the people who came on the ship the same week or two as you. 

Perhaps it is my introvert nature, but it feels like a mixture of summer camp and highschool. I have many cursory relationships. I can always find someone to eat a meal with 3 times a day. I have friendships with coworkers and fellow crewmates to go on adventures and outings into town which is important.. I, however, have not developed a truly close relationship. I think it is a combination of self-preservation and the ever changing dynamics on the ship.

I cannot tell you though how special it is to get a genuine hug, hand hold, or smile from a patient. As many of you know, I am not one who normally seeks or desires human touch. I have experienced the power of human touch when I am touching someone while treating them. Sometimes it literally brings them to tears. Here, however, I am the one being blessed by the spontaneous touch of children as an expression of thankfulness and love. This has been a surprise to me. 

What are your thoughts on community? Curious to hear.

1 comment:

  1. Community (tribe, village, neighborhood, family) -call it what you want -
    Everyone wants connection to people, it's human nature even if we don't realize it. Small communities can be like families tight but protective, and I have seen people stay in small towns for that reason - safety. I believe a few friends in a big town can be just as rewarding and less hassle for the not so social person. :) (me) But that's in America. In Africa,in small villages,I can only imagine community is more then safety, it survival and that will take priority if you don't have basic needs of food, water, and shelter. But now that I think about it basic human needs includes friendship :)

    ReplyDelete