Sunday, April 13, 2014

Lost in Translation

As I sit here and think about how to express this, I am reminded of what Dad often tells me in our talks. Sometimes we talk about the wonderful and joyous happenings. Sometimes we try to solve the world's problems knowing full well we can't. Sometimes we just share about life together. Sometimes, however, I call him in the difficult transitions for encouragement and a listening ear. In these conversations, he often reminds me of the fact I have chosen to go on these adventures. The challenges are apart of the journey. I could just as easily choose to stay in one job and live in one place likely leading to a more predictable and easier life in some ways. I am then jolted from the edge of the cliff of a pity party with the realization that I did choose to be adventurous in this season of my life. I am reminded too of the fact that without the challenges, the joys would not be as precious.  

One of the challenges that has been a common thread/challenge through many of my adventures is the title of this blog entry...Lost in Translation. We all have had a good laugh when we have made mistakes of giving someone a kiss "besos" when they ask for a glass "vasos". Or telling someone we are married "casada" when we are trying to say we are tired "cansada."  Many of us have also had the adventures of communicating with taxi driver thinking the plan of where we are going and what time to pick us up and the price is clear. At the end of the exchange, nothing that was agreed upon happens. When using a translator to communicate, sentences are simplified, ideas need to be very clear, and medical terms are often not used as they do not know the translation. Sometimes, I will say one sentence and the translator goes on and on for 2 minutes. Other times I say a whole lot and they speak for 2 sentences. I never truly know what is lost in translation.  It is a strange, uncomfortable feeling that I have experienced in California, Guatemala, and now here. I have to trust God who speaks all languages that what needs to be communicated is.

Most of us have heard how important the component of nonverbal communication is in getting your point across. I agree and have experienced that attitudes, gestures, facial expressions, even writing numbers down, nodding and shaking heads can all be very helpful in getting directions, directing a therapy session, even sharing love, comfort, and encouragement. While I do agree it is very helpful, especially when the verbal communication is greatly lacking, verbal communication is vital to understanding.  Have you ever noticed that when people who do not speak the same language fluently will often nod and smile as if they are understanding everything. In reality, at best only sporadic words are pieced together to reveal the context of what is exchanged. Sometimes I ask a question that is answered with a nod of the head indicating yes. You then immediately follow with the opposite question to test understanding and that too is met with a nod of a head indicating yes. Another example follows: when I ask if the patient or parent of a patient has any questions after I finish my explanation. I am asked a question that I just spent 3 minutes explaining. I know then they they did not understand what I tried to communicate through the translator. Nonverbal communication cannot be relied on solely as it can give false verification that what is being said is being understood. So much is lost in translation.

Another component of communication that I have realized here to a new depth is the culture. The exact same words can be said even in different areas of the United States or different families and be interpreted totally differently. For example, something one person meant as a compliment can be interpreted as an insult. Sometimes what one person thinks is a hilarious joke is met with blank stares by others.  Working in the medical field, one is blessed to see miracles, healing progressing, and lives changed forever.  Sometimes, however, things do not meet patients or families expectations; sometimes surgeries do not go as planned; sometimes there are complications in the healing process that change the outcome.

This is difficult to swallow both for the patient, patient's family, and healthcare professionals. We all process and deal with difficulties differently. We can face it head on. We can become bitter. We can try to ignore it stuffing it deep inside us. Here, I realized for the first time how much culture plays a factor in how we deal with challenges or "bad news."  Once again so much is lost in translation.  Here, even my coworkers who speak French well, will choose to use a translator to communicate news of this sort expecting it to be translated directly. This is in an effort that the information will be communicated with their cultural relevance. Those who speak French can tell what is spoken and what it not. Lingala and Kimbuto are other languages commonly spoken here which all of us have to rely on translators to speak.  Often the facts of the unmet expectations are not communicated to the patient in the manner we desire. I have even heard translators say, "I am not telling them that." 

Simply not telling the patient in my culture is not the loving option. Do not get me wrong, I have been on the other side; the one receiving the difficult news. It is hard! I would rather know what is happening. If one does not know the reality, how can one prepare or take appropriate steps forward to address it. Sometimes the reality is the circumstances look bleak now, but healing takes longer than expected. The circumstances may improve with hard work of strengthening, stretching, bracing, and love. Even if they do not, people need to know the truth of their new life. The balance of providing hope to continue on and providing truth of the present reality is very difficult. This is what is often lost in translation.  I do not have any ideas for solutions. I just have unfinished, raw thoughts praying that God in His sovereignty will give the wisdom, peace, and comfort to all involved to communicate the truth in love and the grace and perseverance to live each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment