Friday, January 1, 2016

In Between

Here we are in the new year.  Technically, it is still Christmas until January 6th (Epiphany).  I feel like I am in between in many areas of life. As a single living in a college town, I am in between being a student and having a family.  Having traveled and served abroad, I am caught between liking western medicine resources and knowing more could be done here and elsewhere. Having just received new responsibilities at work, I am caught between knowing somethings and being keenly aware of what I do not know. I have joined a small group and a running group. Well, this being a college town, we are in between semesters. This means these social events take a break as well because most people leave to see family and friends. 

During this slow time, I have been listening to several audio books. This space in time is similar to having finished one book, but one has not started another one. One story is over. One can look back remembering the ups and downs that made an interesting story line, favorite characters, best chapters. One can look forward to meeting new characters, watching a different story unfold, experience the adventures. 

Many of you know, my move here was fueled by the desire to learn more in an area of PT in order to serve people of all ages. I am in between. I am not sure what the end goal looks like practically, but continue striving for serving God. Last night, I had the privilege of sharing Mercy Ship experiences with a fellow volunteer. We served in different countries, but have had an instant connection from this one similarity. On the more difficult days, remembering adults and children I have met in the United States and in my experiences abroad brings joy to my heart. It is enough to brush off the dust of the daily grind and keep serving  and learning here.

Being in between is important. Beginning and ends only exist because of the in betweens. The line leaders and cabooses, ends of my bike lock, cogs on the gears, mountain peaks and valleys, sunrise and sunsets have significance due to the in between times. In this new year, I am hoping to progress in being content and thankful each day in this in between time.





No comments:

Post a Comment