Saturday, December 19, 2015


Doors: Open and closed

One morning this week, I woke up thinking briefly about doors. This scripture came to mind.Rev 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. Instead of reflecting further I went about my day.


I later thought about the folder of photos I had labeled entrances.  One of my patients asked their parent to move so they could see the television better. I snidely remarked " Your mother makes make a better door than window."  At the hospital, some of the rooms have see through door that curtains can be pulled for privacy. Most rooms have solid doors. If the child or infant is in the room alone, the door is generally kept open. This is so anyone, mostly nurses, walking by can see and hear the child. If a parent is in the room the door is often kept closed. Usually I call the nurse prior to coming to work with a patient. The patient, therefore, has a heads up that I am coming. Out of curtisy, I knock on the door prior to opening it. This knock, however, is more announcing my entrance than asking permission to come into the room. Every place I have lived, I have an open door policy.  This means that if my door is open, anyone is welcome to come to enter. I usually only close my door if I am sleeping.  






Doors provide separation from others and another area, privacy, protection. When locked they keep people and animals out. With the exception of storm doors and fancy windows in front doors, they are not see through. One has to either have the correct key to open it or knock to ask someone on the other side to open it.

In the context of advent, preparing and expecting Jesus' coming, the verse in Revelation makes sense.  Like me, he has announced his coming prior to his arrival. We should be listening for his knock declaring He is presence. Jesus is respectful. He knocks. He is asking to come in. He is not breaking down the door and barging into our lives.We have to open the door allowing Him to enter. Because He entered our world and died for us, the separation is gone. Not only will He enter, but He will share a meal.  He gives us dignity by sharing a meal with us. Sharing a meal with someone tells them they are worth taking time out of the business to listen, laugh, share. 

I have heard the analogy several times of hiding our sin behind doors in our hearts/souls. We somehow think we are keeping it from Jesus. Although He remains, respectful, He sees it.  On this journey called life, I feel like sometimes my doors become widows with iron work on the outside before opening it fully.  I think sometimes I try to make my closed doors attractive. Perhaps, He won't knock to disturb that area. Once the courage is enough to open the door, He gently helps me clean up the mess, clear the table, shares a meal with me. It is difficult to open the door and go through the sin and shame, but the grace, love, and peace of it all being known is worth it. 




Open doors are welcoming but it is also vulnerable. Do you hear Jesus knocking? Are you opening the door or all the doors to your heart?



No comments:

Post a Comment