Monday, June 15, 2015

It's not easy being different

Well, it has been quite some time since I wrote a blog. It is nice to be able to feel like I can take a bit to sit down and write. I have taken a permanent job here at a children's hospital. It has been a big transition. Spoiler Alert...It is not easy being different and being the new one. Although there were many aspects of doing travel therapy that I enjoyed, I am ready to be still for awhile. I yearn for community.

If you know me, you know that I usually do things  differently than the norm. This transition has been no different.  Keeping in line with doing things differently, I started my first week without a place to live. The Lord did provide two places to spend the nights and a good way to commute to work the first week.

I do have a place to live now. I have two roommates one of which will stay through next August and one who will be leaving at the end of this July. I have a nice size room with a private bath. I enjoy the large windows that let in sunlight. It is conveniently located to the center of town (1/2 mile), across from a park full of trails, about 10 -15 minute bike ride to work. It is quiet and surrounded by trees.

As usual with any move and/or change in job, very few things went the way they normally do. I will spare you the details. The first week was corporate and large departmental orientation. It felt like I was being sprayed with a fire hose of full blast daily. Each day is a little better with knowing how to perform PT, have a beeper that works, getting benefits set up, getting a routine, learning protocols, learning names and faces of nurses and doctors, and the like. Finally, I feel like I am getting settled both at work and home. Now, I can concentrate mainly on learning at work and building a community. I do not like the feeling of treading water and doing your best. Nothing is smooth. Unfortunately, the only way to improve is to continue to go through it.

Throughout this season, there have been many occurrences where I felt like saying out loud in the same sentiment of Kermit the Frog saying "It's not easy being green," "It is not easy being different." I will recount a couple here.

 Job: went from working adults outpatient primarily orthopedics to children weeks old to 21 y.o. in acute care.

Housing: went from living in true community with 5 others who rotated through a small cabin on a ship to a house where we co-exist.

Transportation: from a city where you walk or take pusse-pusse to a city where you drive 20 minutes to get almost everywhere to a city where walking and biking are very common. A drive of 10 minutes seems like you are going far away.




I was told the uniform was a specific style and brand of scrub bottoms and polo top with logo. Upon arriving here, I tried them on in the store to find the correct size. After finding the size, I was informed that the scrubs would have to be ordered. They scrubs would arrive in 7- 10 business days. When I arrived to my area of the hospital, I noticed that no one was wearing quite what I had ordered. Once the scrubs did arrive, I discovered they were about 4 inches to long. In order to get through the day, I paper clipped a hem. I promptly returned them to the store only to find a couple pairs of the other acceptable scrubs. They too were about 3-4 inches too long. All my coworkers shared they had to hem theirs too. Now, three weeks later, thanks to my grandma, I have three scrub bottoms of appropriate length, color.

I have never lived where riding a bicycle is common transportation. While I do know how to "ride" a bike, I did  not feel confident riding with traffic. Thankfully, here most streets have bike lanes. Some areas even have bike paths that connect main streets. I have gained some confidence by watching other bikers and simply practicing. While learning, I again feel like I stick out for being different.

Having been a traveler for several years, I actually had to acquire things like shower curtains, towels, bookshelf, etc. Most people simplify when they move. I feel like I still live fairly simply.

It is also different being in a college town but not being a student. Like anywhere I go, it will take time to meet people. Here, there are many different activities and events. When I go to ones by myself and feel like everyone else is there with someone they know. I feel like I stick out as being different.
 
Opposite to what this blog has been about, I do feel like I will enjoy being here. Many of the people I have met are very well educated, have wide interests, like to live simply, eat locally, healthily (vegan, high fat, vegetarian, gluten free, organic), artsy (pottery, paint, music), like to bike or walk places. I will try to keep you posted. I have attended a short story reading with wine and cheese, gone contra dancing, attended free symphony concert, free strings quartet, heard live music while eating outside a a market. Slowly but surely I will be secure in being different again.

Displaying 20150605_202332.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment