Monday, April 20, 2015

Reminders from Seashells

We are never truly in control of our lives. When we have a routine, purpose, direction, we feel we have more stability and even control. We are often caught off guard with the car breaks down, the computer malfunctions, washing machine stops working. We feel out of control. Waiting for the next step in life, jobs, places to live, results is another time we are reminded we are not in control.

While I am in another season of waiting, I am went to visit a good friend at the beach. While she worked during the day, I  enjoyed long walks on the beach. In the evenings, I spent time with her and her family.

One day while walking on the beach, I was struck by the variety of seashells. My thought then wandered as follows. As far as I could see, so many shells were scattered in a line where the waves just were.

Yes there were many of them, but as I continued walking I was struck by the variety of colors and shapes. There are billions of people in the world, yet we are all unique. It is the differences and variety that make it beautiful. I often need to be reminded of this.


These shells were often broken. When I saw this one I thought what a great illustration of how we can have a "hole" but still maintain our overall shape.


Like these shells, we are tossed and beaten up sometimes by life happenings. We try to hang on to God but still get banged up. 

Often we try to hide our chips, holes, big pieces that are broken off.  



Also, we work hard to have a "normal" appearance on the outside. Once someone gets to know you on a deeper level, beauty of the inside is revealed. 

 This is a shell reminded me of the beauty in simplicity and stopping to look at the details.
 Hopefully, we can remember that all the waiting, feeling out of control, and unexpected in this life is part of the process of making us smooth and round like these pebbles tossed in the waves.



No comments:

Post a Comment