Sunday, August 10, 2014

Life in the Desert

Upon exiting I-40 West about 90 minutes from Joshua tree in mid December 2013, I was immediately in the middle of nowhere. I could see for miles in all directions. The sandy ground was often covered with scruffy short bush like plants. The landscape was intermittently dotted with large piles of rocks. These formations truly look like someone dumped them there. I saw a whopping 3 cars over the 80 mile stretch of road. Having accepted the job sight unseen which is par for the course for travel positions, I thought,  "what have a gotten myself into?"  I remember telling  my dad that I felt like I had landed on Mars.  Having spent 6 months total with a 6 week interruption in Africa, the high desert truly grew on me. 

Some of the treasures in the high desert include the following:

  • Winter's are wonderful: very little rain, highs in the 60's-70's, lows in the 40's most of the time. Wind picks up in the afternoon. There can even be windstorms where you can barely see briefly.
  • Stargazing is possible in your front yard due to very little light pollution. Star gazing parties occur during meteor showers
  • Very little traffic. I always made it through the traffic lights with one change of the light (even during "rush hour")
  • 15 to 20 minute drive means you are in the next town
  • Spring wildflowers bloom, cacti and other succulents bloom
  • Summer heat without significant humidity: people's houses with AC are usually kept around 80*F. Most people, however, use swamp coolers to cool their houses. In the late summer temperatures are around 90*F by 800 AM.  You adjust quickly as 80* F feels cool. 100* with a breeze is very comfortable.
  • Wild roadrunners can become daily visitors at your house
  • You are always on the lookout for rattlesnakes and scorpions and occasional sheep sightings
  • Nights are quiet as crickets or cicadas are not common
  • Rain is truly a treasure and the 20% chance in the forecast is exciting. Dark thick rain clouds complete with the sounds of thunder and occasional flashes of lightening are very near. Almost every time, rain would not fall at my house. The day I left, I drove through significant rain. (first time of significant rain in at least 3 months)
  • Life is simple as there are only a few restaurants locally. (You can drive down the hill 30-45 minutes to low desert for larger selection)
  • Grocery stores are spread out and only one of each type in the town 



No comments:

Post a Comment