Friday, March 3, 2017

Joy

Often Dad will tell me he prays I will have fun at work. Let me fill you in with the background. During family dinners we would share about our days. Multiple times, my brother asked Dad, "Dad, did you have fun at work today?" Dad would respond,  "No." My brother would say, "Was it a bad day then?" We could not understand how not having fun did not equate to having a bad day. Being an adult, I now understand Dad's answers. 

Sometimes, I do have fun at work. I will laugh with my coworkers, see a child smile, see a child play creatively. 

A friend of mine responded to an email update I sent with this included "I like the idea that we can trust that we are loved no matter.  And yes I out sourced my research but my verse for you today is Galations 5:22 "But the fruit of the spirit is love, JOY, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,.."
Don't forget the joy!

This started me thinking. What is joy? When do I have joy? I have always grown up knowing in theory that joy does not equate happiness. I am usually a serious, want to perform well (perfectly), meet the standard. Over the years, I have tried to and think I have loosened up some. When I think about times I have great pleasure, there are two categories. One being in creation (mountains or waterfalls are first choice).  One is being with people I feel I can simply be me. 

Recently, I have been able to spend some time racing cars on the dinning room floor over and over. Each time the two young boys screamed with thrill. Another night recently, I was able to pretend for a couple hours. We were tigers, Repunzel, policemen, dancers, and more. Each time, I never once thought about how I should behave, or what anyone was thinking about me. I was present. I had joy. The laughter of children is contagious. Smiles are a second best. My PT student stated with a huge smile herself, "I got her to smile." 



Another time I feel joy is when am in the pottery studio with others.  My hands are messy with clay. I have made some pieces. Some the way I wanted; some morphed. It is satisfying to see progress. Once again, there is no judgement, no standard. It is a place to come and be artsy to whatever level you want. There is community. We encourage each other. 



Joy:
I think joy can be experienced when you feel safe. You know you are loved; you are "good enough." Because of this, you can be present. You can laugh, pretend with children, feel pleasure. 

This is why Jesus can provide us joy. I am praying that this year I am able to trust His love for me. I can feel safe, not have to prove myself. I can allow His joy fill me and bubble over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment